Getting to Know Kelsey
What do you value most in your career as an attorney?
Practicing law is an incredible privilege. I am blessed with the opportunity to provide insight and assistance to clients during a time of need, whether in their personal or professional life. In my career, I value most the opportunity to love and serve my clients through difficult situations. One of my favorite verses, Proverbs 31:8, reminds me what an honor it is to defend the rights of the oppressed and speak on behalf of those in need. One of the many things I love about being an attorney is the opportunity to learn about my clients and build relationships on a professional and personal level. I am blessed to have a career where I can help others while also developing lasting friendships.
What inspires you about the legal profession?
As a young woman, I dreamed of being a fashion designer. But, after working at a law firm, I knew I found my calling as an attorney. I was intrigued by the law and by the procedure through which an attorney can help clients. The opportunity to integrate my interest in fashion with my love for law is a dream come true.
Why did you decide to be an attorney?
After working at a law firm for several years, I knew I was called to be an attorney. I was intrigued by the law and the procedure through which attorneys help their clients. I am especially drawn to elder abuse and financial exploitation and believe there is a growing need for advocacy in this area. I truly enjoy the opportunity to advocate and fight for the oppressed. One of the ways I’m able to do that is by serving as a board member and volunteer of Trinity Legal Clinic, a non-profit organization that provides legal services, a ministry of prayer, and Christ-centered guidance to those in need.
When not working, how do you enjoy spending time?
I love spending time with my family when away from work. We spend a lot of time at Crossings Community Church, where we volunteer and teach a class for young adults. We love watching our kids play sports and spending time with our dalmatian, Penny. As a family, we enjoy flying airplanes, riding dirt-bikes, and running in the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. A date night with my husband, of course, is one of my favorite ways to spend time.
What are small things that make your day better?
Notes of gratitude always make my day better and restore my perseverance. During work, a hot cup of tea and some rejuvenating music makes my day more enjoyable. Notes and pictures from my children melt my heart and make me smile. And, nothing beats coming home to greetings from my kids and husband after a long, productive day of work.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
- State of Oklahoma – 2008
- U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma – 2008
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, Oklahoma
Juris Doctor – 2008
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
Bachelor of Science – 2005
Major: Health and Sports Sciences, History
- Fordham University School of Law, New York City, New York
Fashion Law Institute – 2017
- The Disaster After the Disaster: Insurance Companies’ Post-Catastrophe Claims Handling Practices, 61 OKLA. L. REV. 189 (2008).
Areas of Practice:
- Civil Litigation
- Trust and Estate Litigation
- Elder Abuse and Financial Exploitation
- Consumer Protection
- Class Actions and Complex Litigation
- Probate and Guardianship
- Negligence and Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Entity Formation
- Appellate Practice
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- General Practice and Solo and Small Firm Section
- Litigation Section
- Real Property Law Section
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- Trinity Legal Clinic of Oklahoma, Board Member and Secretary
- Alliance Defending Freedom, Allied Attorney
- MOMS. – Moms on Missions, Leadership Team
- Crossings Community Church, Sunday School Teacher
- Crossings Christian School, Track & Field Volunteer
Honors and Awards:
- Oklahoma Law Review, Submissions Editor
- Luther Bohanon American Inn of Court
- Real Property Lawyers Association Award